|Item type||Home library||Collection||Class number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item reservations|
|Long loan||Central Saint Martins Main collection||Printed books||307.76 ONC (Browse shelf (Opens below))||Available||22167471|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Large cities in both the North and the South are caught in the contradictory logics of globalization and localization. This work looks at how ethnic minorities, tribal groupings and marginalized subcultures in urban areas appropriate contemporary discourses - of consumerism, Islam, human rights - to voice new cultural alternatives. Through a variety of cities, including Beirut, Berlin, Cairo, Istanbul, Manila and Singapore, it explores how social and cultural boundaries are renegotiated as new social networks of global trade and finance create new opportunity spaces. It looks at the political agendas and strategies of groups who mobilize to seize upon these openings, and aims to show how the global is translated by different urban groups into practices which transform physical, social and cultural spaces."
Papers from a workshop held at Boǧaziçi University, Istanbul, in 1994.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- 1 Introduction: Struggles Over 'Lebensraum’ and Cultural Identity in Globalizing Cities
- Part 1 Global Visions and Changing Discourses of Power
- 2 Between Economy and Race: Asianization of Singapore
- 3 On Two Conceptions of Globalization: the Debate Around the Reconstruction of Beirut
- 4 The Myth of the 'Ideal Home': Travels Across Cultural Borders to Istanbul
- Part 2 Symbolism of Space and the Struggle for 'Lebensraum’
- 5 Culture Shock and Identity Crisis in German Cities
- 6 Gendered Lives in Global Spaces
- 7 The Metropolitan Dilemma: Global Society, Localities and the Struggle for Urban Land in Manila
- Part 3 Rediscovering Islam Through the Prism of the Local
- 8 Re-imagining the Global: Location and Local identities in Cairo
- 9 Formation of a Middle-class Ethos and its Quotidian: Revitalizing Islam in Urban Turkey
- 10 Tribesmen in the Global City: The Remolding of a Cultural and Political Identity
- 11 Travelling Islam: Mosques without Minarets in the Netherlands